Wayfare

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Leftover Dal Vada



I came to know about this "Vada"  by a very dear friend of mine which she makes it with leftover dal. 
Fortunately, today I found one bowl of leftover dal was sitting in my fridge.  A thought of trying those Vadas came to my mind. It was definitely a wonderful way to use leftover dal. I tried it and they came out very well. Nobody was able to  judge that they were vadas of leftover dal of last night. I served these Vadas as evening snack with tea and we all enjoyed a lot  ..... 


Ingredients
*   Any leftover dal          1 bowl
*   Bread slices                 3 to 4  (broken into small pieces)
*   Finely chopped onion  1
*   Green chilly chopped   1-2
*   Chaat masala               1/2 tsp
*   Coriander leaves          2 to 3 tsp (chopped)
*   Salt                              as per taste
*   Red chilli powder         1/2 tsp
*   Oil                               for deep frying

Method
*   In a mixing bowl take leftover dal.  Add in the pieces of bread slices.
*   Add chopped onion, Green chilly and coriander leaves, salt, red chilli powder and mix very well.
*   Make small balls from this mixture. Flatten them slightly and shape into vadas.
*   Heat oil in a deep bottom pan.
*   Gently drop the vadas to the hot oil, fry until vadas turned golden brown in color.

24 comments:

  1. Delicious and interesting idea to use your leftover daal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very nice idea for using the leftover dal..it looks soo tempting and delicious..:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, I am going to bookmark this and definitely going to try. I always have trouble with leftover dals as I hate throwing them down the drain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the idea, loved the recipe ~ must try :)
    US Masala

    ReplyDelete
  5. nice and interesting idea !! looks so delicious !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Deeksha
    I just landed here from another blog friend's site. This is some recipe,I was looking for!!! What do I do with a dal, not consumed in two sittings!! This has been a major headache for decades. I am going to use this recipe in your way. But the problem is , most bong dals are pretty thin and we like it. I shall find a way out by concentrating the left over
    let me see what great recipes you have here. I am following you, including the Hindi one...
    Have a nice day

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow tis is so awesome.. me waiting for this recipe for a long time..

    ReplyDelete
  8. A crispy & tasty way to finish off left over dal!!
    Prathima Rao
    Prats Corner

    ReplyDelete
  9. so simple and lovely recipe..great way of using left over dal..if u r interested, plz link to my event too..

    Ongoing Event at Good Food:
    COOK IT HEALTHY:PROTEINicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for visting ... lovely recipes ... very yummy vada..glad to follow u
    www.rajafood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Slurppp..Looks tempting & mouth watering.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic vadas looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thats a yummy use of leftover dal... Looks crunchy and yum...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent innovative idea... Vadas look delicious and mouthwatering...

    ReplyDelete
  15. delicious looking innovative snack

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like a yummy idea - never thought of using leftover dal for making vada!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice idea Deeksha! I usually make roti with dal but this idea sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You have a nice space with interesting recipes. Glad to follow u :):)

    Chitchat

    ReplyDelete
  19. sounds new to me dear...
    looks healthy and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is a perfect idea. thanks for sharing the recipe Dee.
    Let's Cook: School Break-Time Snacks

    ReplyDelete
  21. just made this only shallow fried them but they still were very good..... turned awesome..

    ReplyDelete